Hughes Gallery, Inc. | P.O. Box 35, 333 Park Ave.
Boca Grande, FL. 33921 | 941-964-4273 | Email | Facebook
New Jersey artist Michael Budden has successfully reinvented himself as a landscape and plein air painter, painting on location. Michael depicts scenes along the east coast but concentrates along the Delaware River to the Jersey shore. The artist states, "We live in a beautiful area with such variety for an artist. Why not showcase it." His paintings are characterized by strong design, confident brushwork, and a superior quality of light. Michael states," The challenge of painting on location emphasizes what truly excites me as an artist. It is derived from the heart, hard work, and just plain fun. Although I also work in the studio, nature is the best teacher."
2015 Awards, Honors, Exhibitions
- AAPL Board of Directors Award For Representational and Traditional Artistic Merit
- American Artists Professional League Salmagundi Club. NYC
- Burlington County Purchase Award, "Summertime, HLubiks" Burlington NJ
- "The Katlan Family Award For A City Scene" Audubon Artists 73rd Annual Exhibition, NYC
- "First Place" Annual Juried Exhibit, Smithville Mansion, Mt. Holly NJ
- "First Place" Gallery 50 Plein Air Competition Bridgeton, NJ
- "Best In Show" Landscape Show, Gallery 50. Bridgeton, NJ
- "The Lyceum Technical Excellence Award, Top Award" Burlington City Plein Air Exhibit
- The Giovanni Martino Family Award For A Realistic Landscape" Allied Artists of America, 102nd Annual Exhibition
2013-2014 Awards, Honors, Exhibitions
- "George Inness Jr SCNY Award", Salmagundi Club Spring Auction Exhibition, NY
- Helen G. Oehler Memorial Award, American Artists Professional League 86th Grand National Exhibition, NYC
- Len G. Everett Memorial Award, Allied Artists of America 101st Annual Exhibition, NYC
- "Kent and Helen Coes SCNY Award" Spring Auction Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, NYC
- "Award of Excellence" Burlington County Annual Juried Show, Smithville, NJ
- Phillips Mill Annual Juried Exhibition, New Hope, PA
- Honorable Mention, American Impressionist Society National Juried Exhibition
- "Claude Parsons Memorial Award" 85th Grand National Exhibition American Artists Professional League, Salmagundi Club, New York, NY
"Lambertville and Surrounding Area," 31st Annual Exhibition, Award in the Memory of Elaine Resifo
- Salmagundi Club 128th Annual Members Exhibition, the D. Wu & Elsie Ject-Key Memorial Award for "Heading in For the Evening"
- Salmagundi Club, 2nd Annual Plein Air Exhibition, 2nd Prize, the American Artist Award for "14th and Fifth Avenue"
- Allied Artists of America 98th Annual Exhibition, National Arts Club, NYC, the Gary T. Erbe Award for "Composition in Grey, Brooklyn Bridge"
- American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, NY Winter On Fifth Avenue (original at Hughes Gallery)
- Oil Painters of America, Eastern Regional Exhibition, The Evening Show, Times Square, oil (original at Hughes Gallery)
- Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Cunningham Road
- American Scenes: From New Amsterdam to Old Amsterdam, Holland, Cunningham Road
- Easton Plein Air Festival, Invitational, Easton, MD
- 2011 Spring Auction Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, NY, Herbert L. & R.
- Harmer Smith SCNY Award, “Winter Carriage, Central Park”
- 102 Annual Thumb- Box Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, NY, Katlan Family Award for a Winter Scene in Oil, "Evening Snow Showers, Fifth Ave."
- Acadia Invitational Exhibition, Argosy Gallery, Bar Harbor, ME, Marie Carr Memorial Award, "Moonlight, Bar Harbor."
- Oil Painters Of America Eastern Regional Exhibition, "Selling the Sizzle."
His painting "Road To Center Bridge" won him the "Byer's Award" and "Peoples Choice Award" and a "Best Of Show" at the 2006 Annual Burlington County Juried Art Show. Budden captures a moment in time in a particular spot.
Budden's previous award was the Salmagundi Purchase Award won back in 2007 and that painting now hangs in the clubs permanent collection alongside some of the most respected names in the history of American painting. The artist states: "Winning awards is great but not the primary goal but when they are given by your peers and or preeminent people in your field it leaves a wonderful feeling that carries you for a while."
Debra Force, a New York City art dealer and Antiques Road Show fame, and National Academician Burton Silverman juried the show.
Spirit of America,
All That Glitters
East River Ferry
Broad Stripes and
Above the Boulevard
The Lunch Crowd
East River Ferry
Above Cartier Corner